'Resurrected' artist charged with fraud
Durban - The man claiming to be resurrected maskandi artist Khulekani “Mgqumeni” Khumalo appeared in the Nquthu Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, KwaZulu-Natal police said.
Sibusiso John Gcabashe, 28, will remain in police custody and his case was remanded to February 14 for a bail hearing," Colonel Jay Naicker said.
Gcabashe was taken in for questioning on Sunday and had since been charged with fraud, Naicker said.
He claimed to be the multi-award winning traditional Zulu folk music artist, who was buried in 2010.
Khumalo died in December 2009. He was buried by his family in the KwaGxobanyawo cemetery in early 2010.
The man claiming to be the resurrected artist, told The Times newspaper: "I have been suffering a lot at the place where I was kept with zombies. It was hell there and I am so grateful that I was able to free myself and return to my family and you, my supporters."
Police said earlier that investigations would determine whether the police needed to file a High Court application to exhume the body thought to be Khumalo's.
According to weekend reports, hysterical fans flocked to Khumalo's family homestead in Nquthu, near Dundee, after news broke on Thursday about his arrival.