News24

Roadlink taking Western Cape govt to court

2012-07-04 11:39

Cape Town - SA Roadlink plans to apply for an urgent interdict to stop Western Cape traffic officials from continually pulling its buses off the road, according to a report on Wednesday.

Roadlink spokesperson Tania Smith told the Cape Times that its attorneys were instructed on Tuesday to file court papers.

The company accused provincial transport MEC Robin Carlisle of announcing that Roadlink buses should be "singled out" by traffic authorities.

It said his mandate was causing the company "financial and reputational prejudice", and its passengers "unwarranted hardship".

Smith said the company had lost R90 000 as a result. A total of 10 buses had been pulled off in the past month.

Carlisle's spokesperson Siphesihle Dube confirmed to the newspaper that the department had received a letter threatening court action.

"The provincial administration will continue to do whatever is within its powers to safeguard the lives of public transport passengers. This includes pulling public transport vehicles off the road," he said.

Comments
  • Gcwabe.KaMavovo - 2012-07-04 11:53

    Are they kidding me? This company is a danger to all cars on the road as well as the passengers aboard. Just two weeks ago I was almost wiped out by an SA Roadlink bus overtaking over a double-barrier line on a terrible section of road undergoing road works between Grahamstown and King Williams Town. It attempted an overtaking manoeuvre in a terrible place, and suddenly a car came from the opposite direction. So the idiot then quickly steers back to our lane. Me and the car in front of me had to quickly make space for the bus lest we get wiped off the road. Bheki Cele and Robin Carlisle were correct in trying to ban this company from the KZN and Western Cape roads.

      Revelgen - 2012-07-04 12:24

      Too true, Gcwabe. With their history, I wouldn't imagine Roadlink would have a leg (wheel?) to stand on in court. Big up to W. Cape for enforcing road safety. Taxis next.

      nrgx.nrg - 2012-07-04 14:15

      "It said his mandate was causing the company "financial and reputational prejudice", and its passengers "unwarranted hardship". And your un-roadworthy buses are the cause of how many deaths now?...causing the families "unwarranted heartache". well done WC, keep up the good work!

  • mlucejko - 2012-07-04 12:08

    So what's the fuss ??? If there is nothing wrong with Road Link buses then they have nothing to hide !! Sounds to me like they know their buses are 'Clapped' so they are trying to dodge the law !!!

  • jean.tredoux.5 - 2012-07-04 12:14

    When you drive behind a bus or taxi just check underneath the car, you will see cable ties and wiring underneath the vehicle hanging... it's these kind of 'repairs' that causes accidents. Well done WC, be equally forceful on taxi's.

  • nkulu.bgumede - 2012-07-04 12:19

    between all of the accidents that SA Roadlink buses have caused in the past, i dont blame the MEC. i think he has gone past the "unwarranted hardship" of their passangers but seeks for their safety first. till such time that their buses are road worthy and have the right permits to be on the road, please get those buses off SAn road. SA Roadlink is no different to a coffin on wheels. youre not sure if youre ever going to reach your destination.

  • Nicky - 2012-07-04 12:36

    Ok, so 10 buses were pulled off in the last month... Was there something wrong with them? Were they impounded, unroadworthy/ Because if there was'nt, why worry Roadlink?

  • gembleton1 - 2012-07-04 12:38

    You have only got to worry if your are breaking the law, SA road link what you are hiding. Well done to the MEC

  • snoopy.snoopaloop - 2012-07-04 12:56

    Sorry Tania Smith, but SA Roadlink's reputation does speak for it self. Not to mention your staffs bad attitude towards customers. You guys should be closed down. Awesome of the WC to try and keep their roads safe!

  • silindile.mabaso.9 - 2012-07-04 13:14

    Roadlink took Bheki Cele to court when he tried pulling them off the roads, and they won. It appears our justice system doesn't care about the lives lost. I hope the WC wins this one.

  • Mthenjwa - 2012-07-04 13:21

    Wc please burn them al these buses n shoot the owners they drive like private cars it take a road link bus 6hrs frm pta to dbn

  • Mthenjwa - 2012-07-04 13:21

    Wc please burn them al these buses n shoot the owners they drive like private cars it take a road link bus 6hrs frm pta to dbn

  • Bra Tebzaah Sibilanga - 2012-07-04 13:35

    Those deathlinks are not different from the taxis.Its just that you pay more to die in those deathlinks than in taxis.

  • Ruan - 2012-07-04 14:31

    At last !! Looking forward to safer travelling in the very near future.

  • cobus.brits - 2012-07-04 14:53

    Why not target taxi's ? How many innocent passengers must die dayly before action are taken

  • pur.pleibus - 2012-07-04 15:53

    Every time there is a bus accident where someone is killed, the authorities should arrest the directors of the bus company/owners of the bus and charge them in their personal capacities with culpable homicide. Do it once and then the buses would be in perfect condition and the drivers properly trained and monitored.

  • pages:
  • 1