Roux Shabangu left with 'no choice'
Johannesburg - Businessman Roux Shabangu was left with no choice but to institute legal proceedings against Public Works Minister Gwen Mahlangu-Nkabinde and her department over the "compromised" lease for police headquarters in Pretoria, his office said on Monday.
"As much as this is not what Mr Shabangu had wanted to do, [he] is however left with no choice but to institute legal proceedings as a result of suffering huge financial losses and damage due to the lease being compromised," replies to questions sent through his personal assistant, Lelo Zulu, said.
The Sunday Times reported that Shabangu was suing Mahlangu-Nkabinde for R1.1bn related to the "compromised" deal for the office space.
Neither the public works department and ministry, nor head of government communications Jimmy Manyi would elaborate on what developments have taken place since Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found that the Pretoria lease processes had been unlawful.
She said the national commissioner of police General Bheki Cele and Mahlangu Nkabinde were the accountable officers.
Madonsela made similar findings regarding a building in Durban and Cele has cancelled two scheduled press briefings where he was expected to give a public response to the matter.