SA woman coming home after cocaine ordeal
Cape Town - A South African woman who is partially paralysed after taking tainted cocaine while on a work trip to Uganda, is expected to return home on Saturday, the Mercury reported.
Film production assistant Kathryne Fuller was found unconscious in a hotel room and hospitalised in critical condition for what seemed to have been a stroke. She is paralysed on her right side following the incident.
American-born television producer Jeff Rice, who Fuller had accompanied to Kampala, died after also taking the contaminated cocaine in the hotel room which they shared.
Rice's body will also be returned to Durban, where he lived.
Kathryne's return had been delayed while she waited to be charged, and red tape relating to Rice's American citizenship had prevented his body from being released sooner, said the newspaper.
Fuller had said she was being held unlawfully in Uganda since she had not been charged with a crime within the legal time limit, which is 48 hours.
She pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine on Thursday, paid her 1 million shilling fine (R3 000) and was freed.
She had chosen to pay the fine rather than face six months' imprisonment, according to her lawyer.
Ugandan police ruled that there had been no foul play, after earlier reports had suggested that they were poisoned, the Mercury said.
A 23-year-old Ugandan man, however, Moses Kalanzi, is in police custody, accused of supplying the pair with cocaine.
Kalanzi has been charged with manslaughter and a negligent act causing death, as well as two drug-related offences.
He pleaded not guilty to the charges.