News24

SABC board against inquiry

2009-06-23 14:28

Cape Town - SABC board members spent all of Tuesday morning arguing with parliamentarians over whether they would participate in an inquiry into the troubled public broadcaster or not.

Before adjourning for lunch several of the SABC's board members raised concerns about being "prejudiced" if they were to disclose information to Parliament's portfolio committee on communications.

"I will make all disclosures to this house in good faith," board member Rob Nicholson said.

"The SABC can't wait any longer".

Earlier Christine Qunta, who insisted that she remained the SABC's deputy chairperson despite her resignation on April 1, read out a statement on behalf of eight of the board members.

According to the statement the board was concerned that findings may be made "through a flawed process which is likely to have a prejudicial impact on them both collectively and individually".

"We are of the view that the manner is which this 'inquiry' has been convened does not comply with the principles of administrative fairness," Qunta said.

Embarrassment

ANC MP Johnny de Lange said the inquiry had become a "complete and utter embarrassment" and suggested that the board members be subpoenaed to force them to answer to Parliament.

"It is very clear that the eight non-executive board members who read the statement are not prepared to participate in this matter," de Lange said.

"If they do not want to answer questions then let us subpoena them. They say they want to participate, but everything they do is to avoid participating.

"I think we are a complete and utter embarrassment to the people watching this. There is a corporation running wild out there. I cannot account to the public how our money is being spent. I do not know."

The SABC is facing a financial crisis and seeking a R2bn bailout from the government.

Nine members of the broadcaster's 12 member board have resigned so far.

The series of resignations came as a motion of no confidence was filed against board chairwoman Kanyi Mkhonza, who quit last month. The board was left with only three members and no longer had a quorum.

The inquiry, which was called last week, was expected to propose that the SABC board be dissolved. That proposal would then be put before the National Assembly to allow an interim board to be appointed.

Flustered

Committee chairperson Ismael Vadi was equally flustered with the board's approach.

"Do you expect us to take you seriously if we can not get simple, basic information from you?"

Nicholson said he would present a 110-page unaudited financial report to the committee as part of his evidence, provided there would be no legal "prejudice" against him.

The inquiry was set to continue later on Tuesday afternoon.

SAPA