Sama supports Motsoaledi

2010-06-24 16:20

Johannesburg -  Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi did not abuse his position by seeking an operation for his son and should actually be commended for using a public hospital for the treatment, the SA Medical Association said on Thursday.

This follows a report that Motsoaledi arranged that his son jump the queue for an ear operation at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria.

The hospital had reportedly cut back on surgeries so that it could cope with admissions related to the Soccer World Cup if necessary.

Sama said chairperson Norman Mabasa had asked both the chief executive officer of the hospital, Ernest Kenoshi, and the doctor who did the operation, Professor Mashudu Tshifularo.

"We are satisfied that no preferential treatment was afforded to the minister's son and that the surgery required was an emergency," Sama said, adding that it found the allegations unfounded, malicious, and showed inaccurate reporting.

"We further applaud the minister's insistence that he would continue to make use of the public health service as this indicates his commitment to the public health system."

The report had quoted unnamed sources questioning why he was using a public hospital when he supposedly had medical aid.

They also found out his daughter had been admitted for a procedure at the George Mukhari Hospital, also a public health facility.