News24

Mandela Square fire contained

2012-06-18 17:26

Johannesburg - A fire at the Piatto restaurant in Nelson Mandela Square, Sandton City, on Monday has been extinguished, Johannesburg emergency services said.

"It appears that one of Piatto's chimneys caught fire. That section is used to bake pizzas," spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said.

Staff, customers and people in the surrounding shops were evacuated. No injuries were reported.

"We had to first make sure the area was safe before allowing them to go back there," Mulaudzi said.

The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.