Sanef: Govt hasn't signed Mandela protocol

2012-12-15 14:51
Nelson Mandela remembers 20 years of freedom. (SAPA)

Nelson Mandela remembers 20 years of freedom. (SAPA)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Government's failure to sign off on a protocol for reporting on former president Nelson Mandela's health was short sighted, the SA National Editors' Forum (Sanef) said on Saturday.

"We put rules on the table that took detailed account of their input, and said we'd work with them in a very responsible manner," Sanef chairperson Mondli Makhanya said.

Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula's spokesperson Sonwabo Mbananga and spokesperson for the Presidency Mac Maharaj said they could not comment on the matter.

Mandela, 94, was flown to Pretoria from his home in Qunu, in the Eastern Cape last Saturday. He has been hospitalised in a Pretoria facility since last weekend.

The presidency said he was suffering from the recurrence of a previous lung infection and was responding to treatment.

Mandela's hospital stay is his longest continuous period in hospital since 2001, when he underwent seven weeks of radiotherapy after being diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was 83 at the time.


In a statement on Saturday, Sanef said top editors and media executives have been working closely with government on a confidential protocol for providing news about Mandela's health while protecting his privacy and that of his family.

This was captured in a document drawn up after Mandela's hospitalisation in February.

A media task team was formed on 27 February, after a high level meeting between former Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu and news editors.

This task team met with Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) to refine the confidential plan until a final document was presented to Sisulu in June when she verbally agreed to it.

It was agreed not to publish the entire document, but the self-imposed rules included that journalists were restricted to designated zones in the vicinity of the hospital.

It also included that no media would attempt to gain access to the medical facility without permission and acknowledgement from the media of security arrangements and restricted access.

Any breach of the code of conduct would result in the media house being expelled and denied access in the future in a commitment from the media to respect Mandela's dignity and privacy at all times.

Rules and restrictions

Sanef said the document was forwarded to the defence ministry on 5June, for approval. However, government did not immediately sign-off on the agreement and Sisulu was moved to another portfolio.

Since then the media has been told by GCIS that the document still had to be reviewed by the current defence minister.

"By the time Mr Mandela was hospitalised again this month the agreement had still not been signed off."

Makhanya said there were no rules or restrictions that would punish unethical behaviour by a journalist or a particular news room.

"Government is creating the very environment it says it doesn't want."

Various news organisations, including eNCA, Eyewitness News and the Mail & Guardian voiced their concern, saying Mandela was a global figure and when he become ill the entire world was anxious.

CNN Africa bureau chief Kim Norgaard said even the international media was prepared to co-operate on this.

"Our audiences also have a keen interest in Mr Mandela and have a profoundly deep respect for him."

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    sanef  |  nelson mandela  |  mondli makhanya  |  media
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

UK expert: Boks ‘have KO game’
Ireland hold on to down Italy
As it happened: Ireland 16-9 Italy
All Blacks sympathise with England
Traffic Alerts

It is time to focus on your daily rhythm. Are you putting too much attention on future projects and neglecting the day to more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.