Sanef shocked at Sefara resignation

2014-07-01 07:02
Makhudu Sefara (Twitter)

Makhudu Sefara (Twitter)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The SA National Editors' Forum (Sanef) expressed shock on Monday at the resignation of the Star's editor Makhudu Sefara, but said it respected the wishes of Independent Newspapers and Sefara.

"Sanef is shocked at the sudden resignation of Makhudu Sefara as editor of The Star.

"Sanef is not privy to the details of the issues that brought this sudden resignation by Sefara and can only respect the wishes of the two parties in the matter," Sanef said in a statement.

Sefara's departure was announced by Tony Howard, Independent Newspapers' deputy executive chairman, who said in a statement that the company and Sefara could not agree on how best to use Sefara's talents further in the company, the forum said.

Howard had described it as an "amicable and mutually agreed upon" separation, and that neither the company nor Sefara would comment further.

Still deputy chairperson of Sanef

Sanef said: "Without such further explanation, the terse statement will fuel speculation about what the disagreement in utilising Sefara's skills really means."

Sefara was re-elected unanimously as deputy chairperson of Sanef at its Annual General Meeting in Cape Town on 20 June.

"Sefara remains deputy chairperson of Sanef. We appreciate his commitment to continue to champion all that which the organisation stands for, including media freedom and journalistic integrity," the forum said.

Sefara was also chairperson of the media freedom subcommittee and was named editor of the year at the 2014 National Standard Bank Sikuvile Awards.

Earlier on Monday, Sefara confirmed to Sapa he had stepped down.

"I have stepped down and I am no longer the newspaper's editor. It was an amicable departure," Sefara said.

There have been several editorial changes and resignations by senior staff at Independent Newspapers since Iqbal Surve's Sekunjalo-led consortium bought the company last year.

Read more on:    sanef  |  the star  |  johannesburg  |  media

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
5 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
SPONSORED CONTENT
The best-kept secrets of electric cars

The secret day-to-day benefits of driving an electric car.

/News
 

Road Accident Fund: #Takecharge to make roads safer

Hot on the heels of its Easter meet the #FutureYou campaign, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) will once again take its road safety message to the public - Sponsored.

 

Stay safe

Juvenile pillion riders? Play safe...
First-aid kit: What you need in YOUR car
Hey, lazy! Get outta the disabled bay!
Yaris: Perfect car for back-seat babes
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

The pressure is on to perform, but you may not feel emotionally prepared. The most important thing is not to place your...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.