Sanral did apply for interdict

2014-07-22 22:04
People watch as their dwellings are dismantled in Lwandle, near Cape Town. (Rodger Bosch, AFP)

People watch as their dwellings are dismantled in Lwandle, near Cape Town. (Rodger Bosch, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Sanral applied for an urgent interdict to keep people off its land in Lwandle, Cape Town, after it became clear that a "large-scale" invasion was taking place, their attorney said on Tuesday.

SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) attorney Fiona Bester told an inquiry investigating removals from the land that this invasion took place from 19 January this year.

Sanral had also received a few e-mails from the city of Cape Town advising it to ensure its property was not invaded, since it had received complaints from residents of neighbouring properties.

The city advised Sanral that around 400 plots had been pegged or marked out on the land.

Bester said the "tipping point" was when the city's human settlements director sent a notice to the regional Sanral office on 22 January stating it had 14 days to rectify the situation or be liable for all legal costs.

"Sanral increased its security but it was quite apparent at this stage that it could not prevent that invasion without the assistance of the court order and the SA Police Service," she said.

The inquiry was appointed by Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu after a number of structures were demolished and people removed on 2 and 3 June this year.

Bester said the Western Cape High Court first granted the urgent interdict on 24 January to prevent further invasion, and invited the evicted residents to respond.

With the first removals on 3 February, the interdict was served together with the notice of motion and the founding affidavit, by erecting notice boards and announcing it in three languages by loudspeaker.

On 21 February, Lwandle residents appointed Xulu attorneys to represent them in the matter, and they were in constant contact with the Sanral attorneys.

Legal order was served

"It is maybe important to note that this interdict was extended by not just one of our honourable judges in our high court but by quite a number," Bester said.

She said they returned to court every month between January and June to extend the interdict by agreement.

On 23 June, the interdict was extended until 22 June next year.

"In legal terms, one can accept that order was served in terms of rules of court and stipulations. From a legal premise, one can accept that the respondents had knowledge from that date," Bester said.

"If the community, through their legal representative, were not satisfied with this court order, there was a procedure in which they could apply to the court to dismiss the order. This was not done."

Bester said Sanral sent letters to Xulu attorneys telling them that their clients were in contempt of the court interdict, and that if they did not do anything, Sanral would have to take action in terms of the court order.

"Obviously, we did not receive any response despite a number of letters. It is not really correct to say we have done nothing from February until June."

Inquiry member Annelize van Wyk wondered why Sanral had not done more to secure its land from invasion.

Fellow Sanral attorney Shaun Hornby said it tried to ramp up its private security services in that time.

2m razor-coil fence

On 6 February, a new security company was put in place and eight officers patrolled the area during the day and night.

From May, this was increased to 27 guards during the day and 25 guards at night. On 27 May, this was doubled to 50 guards per day and 50 per night.

Van Wyk asked why a fence was not put around the entire area.

Hornby replied that on 24 April, a company was hired to erect a 2m razor-coil fence for 2 000m after police recommended it was necessary.

"There's a debate as to whether fencing is effective or not. We attempted fencing in other areas and it doesn't always do the job. Prior to that, we didn't feel it was actually going to succeed," Hornby said.

By 3 June, 1500m of fencing had been erected.

Read more on:    sanral  |  lindiwe sisulu  |  cape town

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.