Saps not told of al-Qaeda threat

2010-05-17 22:37
A projected image of a man believed to be Saudi national Abdullah Azam al-Qahtani is seen during a news conference in Baghdad. Iraqi security forces arrested al-Qahtani and Tariq Ihssan Abdul-Qadir, two suspected al-Qaeda members involved in the bomb

A projected image of a man believed to be Saudi national Abdullah Azam al-Qahtani is seen during a news conference in Baghdad. Iraqi security forces arrested al-Qahtani and Tariq Ihssan Abdul-Qadir, two suspected al-Qaeda members involved in the bomb

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - South African police said on Monday that they hadn't been "consulted or informed" about claims that a senior member of al-Qaeda in Iraq was planning an attack during the FIFA World Cup next month.

"The South African police are still working on getting confirmation," Nonkululeko Mbatha, spokesperson for the national police chief, General Bheki Cele, told AFP.

"I don't know anything about that. We've not been consulted or informed," police spokesperson Vish Naidoo told AFP.

"We must phone Iraq. That's the next step," he said.

Cele said last week that he knew of no security threat to the soccer championship that kicks off on June 11.

An Iraqi security spokesperson said on Monday that Abdullah Azzam Saleh Misfar al-Qahtani, a 30-year-old Saudi arrested two weeks ago, "participated in the planning of a terrorist act in South Africa during the World Cup".

Mock hijacking

The report came as South African police and military staged a mock hijacking on Monday in Sandton's business district to demonstrate their readiness to safeguard the games.

"Our comprehensive plan looks at the smallest of criminal acts ...to the biggest form such as terrorism," Cele said at the event, before the report came out.

"Whilst no country can boast it is immune to terrorist acts, what becomes critical is that should such an event occur, how do we respond," he said.

"What makes us even more alert in our security plan is that South Africa will be hosting the whole world.

With an average 50 murders a day, crime rather than terrorism has received most of the attention in the run-up to the tournament.

South Africa will deploy 41 000 police officers during the month-long tournament, which runs from June 11 to July 11.

The military is on high alert to provide back-up support, and special courts will be in place for any crimes connected to the event.

Read more on:    al-qaeda  |  saps  |  bheki cele  |  iraq  |  2010 swc  |  security
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Inside News24

 
SPONSORED CONTENT
Keep your bike (and yourself) safe with these tips 2015-03-23 09:16

Whether you’re a newbie pedaller or a seasoned cyclist, knowing how to stay safe is the best way to enjoy your time on your bike.

/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

There is a tendency to over fill your day with work, obligations, social activities and other outer services and interactions. You...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.