'School disruptions unacceptable'
Cape Town - It is unacceptable that learning has been disrupted for a second day at Ludwe Ngamlana Primary School in Khayelitsha, Western Cape education MEC Donald Grant said on Tuesday.
"I am determined to ensure that no further disruptions to Ludwe Ngamlana are tolerated and that the safety of our learners and educators is made a top priority," he said in a statement.
The minister was angry that despite extensive discussion between the department and the disgruntled community, the school gates had been locked in protest against the school governing body.
This had prevented students and teachers from attending school.
One of the parents told the SABC on Tuesday morning that they were angry that they were not part of the election of the governing body and that they wanted the principal, Noloyiso Mtiba-Dube, to resign.
Grant said the demands made by the parents could not be adhered to as they "constituted a violation of the relevant law".
The MEC had spoken to community safety MEC Lennit Max and asked that the police ensure no-one was stopped from going to school on Wednesday.
He had also requested that if there was any attempt to do so, they be arrested.
"There is little doubt that this issue is being used by certain groupings to pursue party political agendas which are entirely divorced from the best interests of the school and its learners," Grant said.
"This administration will not tolerate any form of political interference in the functioning of our schools."
He had asked that the situation be concluded by February 19 as opposed to waiting until the end of the school term.