Schoolgirl's gang-rape 'tragic'

2010-11-08 12:25

Johannesburg - The DA demands action be taken against the three boys accused of drugging and raping a Johannesburg schoolgirl, the party said on Monday.

"Action must be taken by the school and by the police against the boys accused of this rape," said DA Gauteng education spokesperson, Khume Ramulifho.

"The DA condemns the police using exams as an excuse for not yet making any arrests."

The boys are alleged to have given a "date-rape" drug to two girls on Thursday and then gang-raped one of them, aged 15, while filming it on their cellphones.

The alleged rape was said to have happened during school hours.

Police spokesperson Warrant Officer Richard Munyai said the identities of the boys were known and that police did not go to the school on Friday because exams were in progress.

Calling the alleged attack "tragic" Ramulifho said: "The DA believes that schools must be safe places where learning can take place, yet rape and sexual abuse cases continue to occur in our schools."

The police and the Gauteng education department refused to comment on Monday on a report from a police source that the boys had been arrested.