Schools demand more funds

2015-06-19 09:43
Members of the student governing bodies of various Estcourt schools protested outside the Department of Education in Burger Street yesterday.
PHOTO: Jonathan Burton
Members of the student governing bodies of various Estcourt schools protested outsi

Members of the student governing bodies of various Estcourt schools protested outside the Department of Education in Burger Street yesterday. PHOTO: Jonathan Burton Members of the student governing bodies of various Estcourt schools protested outsi (Jonathan Burton)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

THREATENING to hold up orders for stationery and other provisions for their schools, more than 100 student governing body members from Estcourt protested at the Department of Education yesterday.

The protesters, representing 120 schools in Estcourt and surrounding areas, rallied at the Department of Education offices in Burger Street yesterday to demand that extra funding be released to the schools.

They threatened to withhold orders for stationery and other provisions from the department, which will leave their pupils without essential study material, until their demands are met.

One of the protesters, who asked not to be named in fear of victimisation, said their schools are not given the total amount of money allocated to them.

“We are only given 40% of the total money allocated to our schools. What is happening to the other 60%?” he said. “The DoE must release the full amount to the schools and we will purchase our own stationery and everything else we need.”

Some protesters said when they place an order for study materials, they get items of poor quality and they arrive late.

“We will not place any orders with them until the full amount of money is released.”

Attempts to obtain comment from the DoE were unsuccessful.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  education

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.