News24

Search for illegal miner continues

2012-09-25 12:47

Johannesburg - The search for an illegal miner trapped in an old mine shaft at Durban Deep, in Roodepoort, continued on Tuesday, Johannesburg emergency services said.

"The search operation which resumed on Monday continued on Tuesday," said emergency services spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi.

He said they searched until 23:00 on Monday.

The illegal miner and four others entered the mine, near Dobsonville, through an unused shaft that had been cordoned off. He was trapped on Thursday. The others got to the surface.

"We actually had to come up with another way to move, so we will see how far we can go in terms of rescuing the illegal miner," he said on Monday.

Rescue workers covered a distance of three kilometres underground, but suspended the search on Friday, after 16-hours, because the area they were working in was getting smaller and more unsafe.

At the time, Mulaudzi said the area was dangerous because of falling rock.

- Are you there? Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos.

Comments
  • irene.buthelezi.1 - 2012-09-25 12:51

    Oh give it up already. Stop wasting taxpayers money and resources to try and rescue a criminal.

  • pages:
  • 1