News24

Second fire gel child victim improves

2012-07-06 13:15

Johannesburg - The condition of a 2-year-old girl from Bela Bela who sustained second degree burns when firelighter gel exploded in her father's hands is improving, Beeld reported on Friday.

Two weeks ago, Lulu Rossouw was playing close to her father Nelis Rossouw while he lit a braai fire when the gel container he was holding exploded.

The container's lid shot off, and hit his daughter in the face.

On New Year's Eve, 3-year-old Pippie Kruger, of Ellisras, sustained third degree burns to 80% of her body in a similar explosion.

She spent six months in the Garden City Clinic, in Johannesburg, where she underwent a groundbreaking skin graft procedure and was moved to a rehabilitation facility on Wednesday.

Beeld reported that, according to Nelis Rossouw, the left side of his daughter's face was badly burnt.

She was being treated in the St Vincent private hospital, in Bela Bela, where she was "laughing and playing already".

He told the newspaper he had no intention of suing the manufacturer of the gel. "We just want to focus on our daughter's health."

Comments
  • erna.moller.7 - 2012-07-06 13:27

    This gel proved to be dangerous and life threatening. BAN it immediately. Those men who think that they can use is safely is fooling themselves. Why should beautiful girls be the victims of this gel? Please stop using the gel.

  • gerhardus.windpomp - 2012-07-06 13:50

    It's not the gel. It's the idiot behind it.

  • mark.govender.94 - 2012-07-06 13:53

    Shame man, poor girl,i honestly thought all it takes is a flame to light a fire????? lion? clipper???? come on peeps

  • alexander.lombard - 2012-07-06 14:01

    Ban the Gel

  • JohanCduToit - 2012-07-06 14:08

    Another irrelevant stock photo.

  • deon.louw.7505 - 2012-07-06 14:13

    Where were the days when gel was only used on stubborn hair?

  • harrisralph - 2012-07-06 14:15

    It's not the gel...cmon, use common sense people. The bottle wont combust spontaneously...he obviously squirted some gel on the fire and the flames ran up into the bottle causing it to explode. Wow...you dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out! It's obviously the user that's the culprit.

      maylani.bezuidenhout - 2012-07-06 16:41

      Still, I don't think the makers of this product did adequate safety testing. Ban it.

      hanno.jacobs - 2012-12-20 11:32

      yeah lighting a fire with a highly flammable substance like that with your toddler close by? really?

  • LaBlue - 2012-07-06 14:17

    Obviously you can squirt the gel onto a living fire, but still, it's a stupid patent and it should get banned. What's wrong with burning blitz (or if you have to newspapers) to get a fire started?

  • JNaMolefe - 2012-07-06 14:49

    Yes, sue the manufacturer man... so ban the gel!

  • Mike Peach Purchase - 2012-07-06 22:47

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

  • comurray - 2012-07-22 15:22

    If this fire lighter gel is too close to a heat source it will ignite/explode depending on how close it was to the fire. This is comon sense,if it is highly flamable keep it as far away from flames as possible, however some bright sparks know a lot better than any one else.

  • bob.moodley.9 - 2012-10-09 08:49

    will people never learn till innocent children are maimed and scarred for life

  • pages:
  • 1