Selebi still in hospital, no parole move yet
Johannesburg - Former national police commissioner Jackie Selebi is still in hospital and has not yet instructed his medical team to apply for medical parole, his attorney Wynanda Coetzee said on Thursday.
Selebi was admitted to hospital after losing his appeal against a corruption conviction in the Supreme Court of Appeal last year.
The appeal outcome meant he had to begin a 15-year jail sentence for corruption.
His lawyers and prison authorities have said he has a serious kidney condition. Questions have been raised in the public sphere about whether he is trying to dodge jail time.
Selebi was the president of Interpol at the time of the investigation into claims that he received money from a convicted drug trafficker and police informer Glenn Agliotti.
Sentencing him, Judge Meyer Joffe told the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg that he had taken Selebi's age into account when deciding whether to impose less than the required minimum of 15 years for a police official found guilty of corruption.
He said Selebi was aware of his position and that juniors looked up to him.
The correctional services department decided this week not to release further information to the media about his condition, saying the constant queries were stressful to Selebi and his family.