Senior cop accounts for Marikana plan

2013-05-20 21:21
(Picture: AFP)

(Picture: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rustenburg - Senior police officer Lieutenant Colonel Duncan Scott has admitted to drawing up the plan to deal with striking Marikana miners last year, the Farlam Commission heard on Monday.

A statement written by Scott in November was entered as evidence on Monday.

In it, Scott said: "The plan or strategy that I prepared and proposed for adoption... was the first of its kind."

Major General Charl Annandale, who headed the police's tactical response team during the unrest, denied that Scott had single-handedly formulated the plan.

He said Scott had simply co-ordinated and put together what all the commanders had submitted for the task.

"If I asked my secretary to write a letter for me and I put my signature at the bottom, it doesn't make it her letter... it's mine," said Annandale.

He was under cross-examination at the commission's public hearings in Rustenburg in North West.

Chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam, the commission's brief is to investigate the deaths of at least 44 people during wage-related unrest in Marikana last year.

Police shot dead 34 miners when trying to disperse striking miners near Lonmin's platinum mine on 16 August last year.

Another 10 people were killed in strike-related violence the preceding week.

Dumisa Ntsebeza, for the families of the killed miners, dismissed Annandale's assertion that Scott was not the sole author of the dispersal plan.

"Scott was not just a secretary... This was his brainchild. He presented it to you and you approved it without making any changes," said Ntsebeza.

"Our submission will be that it's very clear that he [Scott] devised the plan. We will argue that there were no changes made to it," Ntsebeza said.

Annandale disagreed.

"I don't agree with advocate Ntsebeza. There were other options presented, but those couldn't be implemented," said Annandale.

"Scott was appointed to co-ordinate the plan," he said.

Ntsebeza said there was nothing in the police notes that showed which inputs and omissions had been brought forward.

Annandale maintained that there were small changes made to the plan.

In another statement by Scott he said he had been tasked to brief the commanders about the plan.

Ntsebeza said even during the briefing, there was no suggestion that any input had been given from the commanders.

No authority

Earlier, Ntsebeza pointed out that Scott was part of the special task force. The plan he had drawn up was to be carried out by the public operations police.

Ntsebeza said Scott had no authority to formulate the plan.

"The reluctance [to admit that it was Scott's plan] is because, professionally, he wasn't the person meant to formulate the plan for Marikana," said Ntsebeza.

"You decided on Scott [to formulate the plan] because he had certain qualities... There's nowhere [in Scott's statement and plan] that says what input from [the police commanders] he used in the plan," said Ntsebeza.

Annandale said Scott's failure to mention specifically which officers had aided in the formulation of the plan did not mean they did not do it.

Ntsebeza questioned Annandale on whether the police had failed to hand in any video material they had because they feared it would incriminate them.

According to Ntsebeza, most of the visual footage entered as evidence was supplied by the media present at the scene.

Police gave various reasons as to why they did not have any footage to submit.

Some of the police videographers had withdrawn from the scene after they allegedly received death threats from the striking mineworkers.

Another videographer said he could not use the camera properly, while another said he had forgotten to switch on the camera when the police clashed with the strikers.

Ntsebeza questioned Annandale on whether he would have turned in any evidence that the police had failed to turn in to the commission.

"Would you reveal things that would embarrass the police?" asked Ntsebeza.

"Would you be prepared, since you are under oath and have vowed to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing else but the truth, to break rank and say [the video material does exist]?" he asked.

Annandale said he would remain true to his oath.

The hearings continue.

Read more on:    police  |  ian farlam  |  mahikeng  |  marikana inquiry

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.