News24

Sex offences court report out in August

2012-05-28 14:59

Johannesburg - A report into whether to reintroduce special sexual offences courts will be handed to the government in August, Justice Minister Jeff Radebe said on Monday.

Sixty-two of these courts operating on a pilot basis "had proved to be very effective in dealing with sexual offences", Radebe told a Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (Popcru) summit in Boksburg.

He said the government was seriously concerned about the increase in rape cases. A task team had been set up to look at the viability of reintroducing the dedicated sexual offences courts.

Radebe said a decision would "finally" be taken after they had received the report. The government had started reintroducing the SA Police Service's family violence, child protection and sex offences units, Radebe said.

Popcru is holding a three-day national crime summit to find ways to improve crime prevention initiatives.