Soweto poisoning case postponed
Johannesburg - The case against a 13-year-old Soweto boy accused of poisoning his mother was postponed to Friday by the Protea Magistrate's Court, Gauteng police said.
It was postponed for the boy to get legal representation, Warrant Officer Kay Makhubela said on Wednesday.
A report on a mental evaluation to be carried out on the boy, charged with attempted murder, had not yet been completed.
He allegedly stole R700 from his parents last week. While searching for the money on Friday his parents found rat poison in his possession. Later that evening, his mother fell ill after drinking tea. She was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.
The boy apparently confessed to his father that he had poisoned the tea and was later arrested.
"The mother has since been discharged from hospital and is recovering well," said Makhubela.