State drops case against Zizi Kodwa
Johannesburg - The drunken driving case against presidential adviser Zizi Kodwa was withdrawn in the Hillbrow Magistrate's Court in Johannesburg on Thursday.
A senior public prosecutor said blood alcohol level tests showed there was no alcohol in Kodwa's system at the time of his arrest around 03:00 in Rosebank on November 11.
It was decided there was no case against him.
Kodwa told Sapa on Wednesday night that he would be appearing in court to have the charges withdrawn, but he did not attend.
His lawyer, Gugulethu Madlanga, said Kodwa still intended to sue the officials who arrested him, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa, and acting police commissioner Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi for R5m in the new year.
Might up amount
He said Kodwa was "also considering increasing that amount".
Kodwa had taken to social media site Twitter to express his views on Tuesday.
"Blood sample results are back, alcohol in my blood: ZERO, I told them banyile ngekhe ndibayeke [They are in shit, I won't let it go]," he tweeted.
Last week Kodwa said, "I want to clear my name. They [the blood tests] will come out negative. I have no doubt about that. It's not about my role in the presidency. It's about my reputation. I want to protect South Africans from abuse of authority by police officers."
Kodwa said he believed his arrest was about a "bribe not paid".
He had been scheduled to face the drunk driving charge at the same court on May 11.