News24

Stir over Kebble questions

2009-10-08 13:57

Johannesburg - The South Gauteng High Court adjourned briefly on Thursday to allow witness Glenn Agliotti to get legal representation during questioning about the murder of mining magnate Brett Kebble.

Agliotti, who was being cross-examined in the graft case of former top cop Jackie Selebi, is also an accused in the 2005 murder of Kebble.

Selebi's lawyer, Jaap Cilliers, started questioning Agliotti about the murder accusations, at which point Agliotti asked Judge Meyer Joffe if he was allowed to answer, considering he was an accused in the matter.

Cilliers had just started gaining momentum in his questioning, stating it was "absurd" Agliotti had been accused of the Kebble murder.

Trial in 2010


Agliotti, testifying for the State, vigorously agreed with the defence lawyer, but then asked the judge if he should answer questions related to the murder, for which he is going on trial in 2010.

State prosecutor Gerrie Nel sat quietly, without making any objections to Cilliers' line of questioning.

Cilliers told Joffe he intended to show the court Agliotti was not guilty of the murder, and therefore Agliotti would not incriminate himself in answering.

"I have no problem with it," Agliotti said, but Joffe insisted he speak to his lawyer in the murder case.

"Before I am certain every step has been taken to protect the rights of the witness... I am reluctant to permit this," said Joffe.

"I am happy to consult with him for a couple of minutes if it pleases you, My Lord," Agliotti replied.

Will answer questions

He said his lawyer in the murder case, Laurance Hodes, was in the building and that he would call him.

A few minutes later, Agliotti entered the court with Hodes.

"We were lucky enough to indeed get hold of Mr Hodes," Cilliers said.

"I confirm... the witness has agreed to answer the questions," Hodes said.

SAPA