Teen hit by MEC's car recovering
Johannesburg - Thomas Ferreira, the teenager left brain damaged after being hit by a blue light vehicle, is slowly recovering from a life-threatening infection, The Star reported on Tuesday.
"He is stable and his high temperature has gone," the 18-year-old's father, Paul Ferreira told the newspaper.
He said they expected Thomas to be discharged from Kurgersdorp hospital on Wednesday.
Seven weeks ago, the teen was injured when the official vehicle of Gauteng housing MEC Humphrey Mmemezi crashed into him while he was riding on a motorcycle.
The driver of the vehicle, Semitsi Modomai, was transporting Mmemezi and had turned on blue lights to cross through a red traffic light when they collided.
Ferreira was readmitted to the Krugersdorp hospital last week after he developed an infection brought on by the feeding tube inserted into his stomach. Thomas would now return to Life Riverfield Lodge where he was one week into a three-month rehabilitation programme before he developed the infection.
Ferreira said his son has improved significantly since the accident.
"He is awake and doing a lot of things. He can now take a ball and put it to his face.
On Tuesday, Ferreira said medical bills so far amounted to about R500 000.
At that time of the accident Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane publicly promised to cover the costs of the teenager's medical bills.
Last Friday, she reiterated that "our commitment to the Ferreira family still stands and we are working with them".
By Tuesday, the family had not been contacted by the premier's office.
"We have heard through the press that they want to meet with us in the new year," said Ferreira.