'Tentative' KZN toll pay deal reached
Durban - A "tentative agreement" to end a strike by transport workers in KwaZulu-Natal was reached on Monday, a trade union leader said.
"The meeting started with low gears, but with the intervention of a good commissioner involved in the process we are happy with the outcome," SA Transport and Allied Workers' Union (Satawu) KwaZulu-Natal secretary Joseph Dube said.
"We cannot discuss the details as we have to consult with the workers first. We will disclose details once our members give us the go-ahead to sign the agreement."
The talks, mediated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA), were attended by Satawu representatives and employer Tolcon Lehumo.
Some of Satawu's KwaZulu-Natal members employed at toll gates went on strike on January 7 for a basic salary of R3 500 a month. They reportedly earned less than R2 500 a month.
Tolcon Lehumo spokesperson Coral-Lynn Fraser said it had been a positive day for both parties.
"The negotiations were constructive and the union has agreed to a structured approach."
Toll plazas expected to be affected by the strike included Oribi, Port Shepstone, Mariannhill, Mooi River, and the Tugela Plaza.
Fraser said 181 workers were on strike and temporary workers had been put in place.
"A court interdict was granted in favour of Tolcon Lehumo to prevent striking employees from interfering with traffic and the normal operations of the toll plazas," she said.