News24

Toddler dies in Cape Town house fire

2012-03-26 08:40

Cape Town - A toddler died in a house fire in Ravensmead on Sunday, Cape Town disaster risk management said.

"Four adults were transported to Tygerberg Hospital by ambulances for serious burn wounds," spokesperson Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said. An 18-month-old girl died in the fire.

The fire, alleged caused by a candle that fell over, broke out just after midnight.

"The fire severely damaged the formal house. The City’s building inspectorate declared the dwelling structurally unsafe. It was established that there are numerous social issues at the household."

The City’s disaster response teams and social workers would reassess the living conditions on Monday and to arrange for the provision of humanitarian and social relief aid.

Comments
  • Marion - 2012-03-26 09:18

    'numerous social issues' - overcrowding? May the toddler RIP and the others recover fully.

  • robbieyahu - 2012-03-26 10:39

    sad day when an innocent little todler dies !! condolences to the family and i really hope for recovery of the burn victims !! self a burnwounds survivor ...i do NOT bewish such pain and misery on any living being not even an enemy of mine .... peace... oh and if any relatives of the family reads this tell them to use "silbercor" cream ...it's an excellent painkiller and excellent anti backterial and healing salve/cream that keeps the new forming skin soft and therefore reduces scarring !!! downside ... expensive but more affordable than "flamezine" both are the same quality but silbercor being the much cheaper one... oh and sadly do not use if HIV positive ...if HIV pos. then you'll have to go for "vitamin e-oil" and "tea-tree products" wash & clean wounds daily with table/coarse-salt water-mix and SAVLON ...NOT DETOL ...and for all burnwound victims drink alot of vitamin C too !!! for other readers ...make a note of these you may some-day need it for a loved one ...specially here in south africa with so many burn-wound victims .....peace

      Michelle - 2012-03-26 11:55

      So sad to hear this news today as i alos have an 18 month (they too cute now) God heal these people"s in Jesus name - thank you so much for the feedback on burns , i will defnitely save it.

      Rashida - 2012-03-28 14:08

      thanx for your advice you seem like a very caring person

  • Liezl - 2012-03-26 15:32

    question: how did everyone exept the baby girl manage to escape...

  • Liezl - 2012-03-26 15:32

    question: how did everyone except the baby girl manage to escape...

  • Kevin - 2012-03-26 20:15

    Accidental Candle Fires can be Prevented I am a former UNMIL Fire Marshal that has a special place in my heart for my friends and Firefighters in Africa. Kevin's Kandles has been founded as a direct result of my assignment in 2007-2008. The weekly fire calls for accidental candle fires in Monrovia had a profound impact on me. I have spent my entire career providing fire protection and fire safety to the public. Upon my return to Canada I knew I had to do something more. Now Kevin's Kandles are available - How do we encourage suppliers like Monoprix or Bridgeway to offer these candles to all Africans? They are Much Safer than paraffin candles, less than half the price and environmentally friendly. In January 2012 another tragic accidental candle fire occurred in Monrovia, Liberia. 150 homes were destroyed and 2,500 people were left homeless. This tragedy could have been prevented with Kevin’s Kandles. It’s time for the UN and other Poverty Relief Groups to embrace these Much Safer candles. A shipping carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 22 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. Each pack has the potential to provide a family with 3+ months of safer candle illumination. To watch the demonstration video and read the “Small Steps” folder visit www.asafercandle.com Let’s reduce the number of accidental candle fires!

  • pages:
  • 1