Twelve Gauteng schools to be probed
Johannesburg - Twelve independent Gauteng schools that refused to co-operate with an assessment will be investigated, the provincial education department said on Tuesday.
"We are not saying there was any wrong-doing on their part but it is strange that they refused to be assessed," said spokesperson Charles Phahlane.
An independent forensic investigation would be carried out by Marumofase Fivaz Security Solutions (Pty) Ltd.
The department evaluated all Gauteng schools receiving department subsidies after a priest allegedly embezzled education funds of some R20m.
The 73-year-old man had received the money from the department to run two schools but allegedly misused it. The case against him was pending in the Boksburg Magistrate's Court.
Phahlane said 200 schools were assessed for irregularities in total.
"The evaluation process has been concluded."
It found that at least 80% of the 200 schools had complied with infrastructure standards, and that around 130 schools had been financially compliant.
According to a statement issued by Gauteng Education MEC Barbara Creecy, the review started on October 10 and a final report was due in six months.
It said pupils from the two schools run by the priest were placed in educational programmes.
"In the meantime, the department has been in consultation with the school community on the proposed actions," the statement said.
Some community members had proposed that pupils be allowed to finalise the writing of examinations at the end of the academic year.
"It is our intention to put the interests of the learners first in making this decision. All learners currently registered at the school will be offered places in public institutions in January 2012."