Two Gauteng officials suspended
Johannesburg - Two Gauteng government officials have been suspended over alleged irregularities, Gauteng Arts and Culture MEC Lebogang Maile said on Tuesday.
The offences related to the department's moving to an alternative building, Maile told reporters in Johannesburg.
"Good governance is important for service delivery and we need to make proper use of the resources to achieve maximum impact."
The suspended officials were corporate services chief director Dennis Molaba and deputy director of facilities Wonga Msikinya.
Their suspension came into effect three weeks ago, and a full investigation was underway.
Maile said the officials allegedly fraudulently appointed a service provider in June to move the department to a building on Diagonal Street.
"We are still in a process of determining the amount of money spent in that act, but the department had set aside R8m for the whole relocation."
Maile said the department became aware of the alleged corrupt practice only last month. It had terminated the provider's services.
The infrastructure development department (public works) would conduct its own forensic investigation into the matter.