Two bodies found after KZN storm
Durban - Two more bodies have been recovered after a storm flooded houses in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands at the weekend, bringing the confirmed death toll to seven, the provincial co-operative governance department said on Wednesday.
"Two bodies were recovered on Tuesday and have been positively identified by their families. Three people are still missing," spokesperson Lennox Mabaso said.
Mabaso estimated that about 300 houses were destroyed during the storm in uMsinga and uMvoti on Saturday.
Five people were found dead when the storm accompanied by strong winds tore through the area at the weekend. One of the five was struck by lightning.
On Monday it was reported that 22 people had been treated in hospital.
On Tuesday a hail storm damaged 50 houses, uprooted trees and caused a power failure in eMondlo, northern KwaZulu-Natal, the mayor of the AbaQulusi municipality, Patience Khaba, said on Wednesday.
"There was a hail storm at about 16:00 on Tuesday. Some of the houses were completely destroyed and others were left without a roof," Khaba said.