News24

Two die in Cape Town fires

2012-05-19 12:49

Cape Town - Two men died and six people were left homeless in fires around Cape Town at the weekend, the city said on Saturday.

The men died in separate fires that broke out on Friday evening, one in Zonnebloem and the other in NY6, Gugulethu, disaster risk centre spokesperson Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said.

He said another fire in Site C, Khayelitsha, the same evening left a man critical and a woman with serious burn wounds.
In the early hours of Saturday morning, a fire destroyed three shacks in Monwabisi Park, Khayelitsha.

The city was assisting six people who had been displaced in the fires.