Union boss rakes in millions

2013-06-23 09:40

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Chemical and energy union boss Simon Mofokeng and his wife, Maureen, have earned at least R320 000 a month from a shady Sasol deal that’s worth an estimated R60 million a year, it has been reported.

Mofokeng, the general secretary of the Chemical, Energy, Paper, Printing, Wood and Allied Workers’ Union (Ceppwawu) – a Cosatu affiliate, was allegedly instrumental in getting Sasol to appoint Khotso-Batho Mining Services as a BEE contractor.

The Sunday Times reported that Mofokeng’s wife is the company’s sole director and CEO and owns a 90% stake in the business. The remaining 10% is owned by the ANC spokesperson in North West, Obakeng Malao.

According to the company’s website, the Sasol deal is Khotso-Batho’s only client. In the past six months, the company has invoiced Sasol for between R2.7 million and R5.2 million a month. Payslips show that in 2010 Mofokeng, a Khotso-Batho employee and silent partner, earned a salary of R130 000 a month and his wife earned R190 000 a month.

This is in addition to Mofokeng’s union salary of R21 400 a month, plus a R20 000 car allowance. Ceppwawu, meanwhile, does not allow a general secretary to hold full-time positions outside the union.

Read more on:    cosatu  |  ceppwawu

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Millions of plastic particles in our food!

Scientists and researchers believe that almost five million tons of plastic is dumped in the oceans every year and it’s affecting our food.



Plastic on your plate
Prince George the green prince?
Lean, green, drifiting machine
One man's $1 million vision for an eco Africa

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

It may be hard to maintain a steady rhythm as you find yourself juggling a zillion things. Slow down a little and let go of some...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.