Unions 'agreed to no work, no pay'
Johannesburg - Labour unions did not object to the implementation of the "No work, no pay" policy for teachers who participated in last year's public sector strike, a spokesperson for Gauteng's Education MEC Barbara Creecy said on Friday.
"We have not received any formal objection to that," said spokesperson Charles Phahlane.
"All the unions agreed that deductions would resume in March and we will therefore proceed with it."
Phahlane was responding to media reports that the SA Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) and the Gauteng education department were headed for a confrontation over the implementation of the policy.
Phahlane said an agreement was reached with all the unions, including Sadtu, after certain concerns were addressed.
"The unions had some concerns about deductions and claimed that our [the department's] database and statistics [those who participated in the strike and those who did not] were not accurate and they wanted a clean-up of it."
"In January and February, we undertook a whole process around this and now there is no problem with the database," he explained.
The new statistics were sent to schools and unions to verify.
"We got the verification and on that basis we will proceed with deductions," he said.
The Sowetan newspaper reported that Creecy came under fire at a meeting on Thursday for implementing the policy. About a thousand teachers slammed the MEC and labelled her "satanic".