W Cape matric exams to go ahead
Cape Town - Western Cape education authorities are determined to press ahead with the September exams despite the public service strike.
"The exams will go ahead as scheduled," provincial education minister Donald Grant said on Friday.
"This decision has been taken in the best interests of learners."
He said the exams formed part of the year mark which was included in final national senior certificate results.
The results also provided important feedback to pupils ahead of the final exams and were used by Grade 12 pupils in applying to institutions of higher learning.
"Any extended delay of the exams would therefore prejudice the interests of learners," Grant said.
He said that despite the ongoing strike, most Western Cape schools continued to function as normal.
At those schools there was no reason to deviate from the exam schedule.
His department would however on a case-by-case basis "manage" those schools and areas which had been worst affected by the teachers' strike.