Warning for Rosebank over ANCYL march
Johannesburg - Rosebank residents and businesses have been warned to stay away from the route ANC Youth League members will follow when marching through the area on Thursday.
"This will have several knock-on effects in our ward as well as in the Johannesburg CBD [central business district], along the major north-south transport spine of Oxford/Rivonia Roads and then in the Sandton CBD," ward councillor Tim Truluck said in a statement.
"It is suggested that businesses situated along the marching route consider sending their staff home early and not to schedule meetings in the afternoon that need to be attended by visitors."
Truluck said the Johannesburg metro police had confirmed that Maude Street in Sandton, where a memorandum would be handed over, would be closed.
The "economic freedom youth mass action" is scheduled to take place on Thursday and Friday.
Marchers will move from Beyers Naude Square to the Chamber of Mines in Johannesburg, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) in Sandton and Union Buildings in Pretoria.
On Monday, ANC Youth League president Julius Malema said he expected 5 000 people to take part in the march.
There would be 1 000 youth league marshals, and 500 police and private security company members to ensure the march was peaceful.
Malema said plans to march along the M1 highway had been changed to prevent traffic delays.