We want Sexwale gone - Sanco

2012-11-17 20:40
Tokyo Sexwale (File, Sapa)

Tokyo Sexwale (File, Sapa)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


Court halts Lenasia demolitions

2012-11-14 10:41

A High Court in Johannesburg extended an order to halt the demolition of illegal homes in Lenasia. Watch.WATCH

Johannesburg - The SA National Civic Organisation (Sanco) would do its best to keep Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale out of office because of his silence on the demolition of houses in Lenasia, it said on Saturday.

"As housing minister your silence on the matter has not gone unnoticed..." Sanco's spokesperson Dumisani Mthalane said in a statement.

About 50 houses were destroyed by the Gauteng department of housing on November 8 and 9. The department said the houses were built on land meant for government housing.

Mthalane said Sexwale's silence was the sign that he was losing leadership qualities he previously had.

With the African National Congress choosing its top leadership in Mangaung next month, Sanco said Sexwale disappointed people because of the conference.

"You have betrayed the masses, just to be cool with those advocating a change in Mangaung," said Mthalane.

‘Shame on all of you’

Sanco also said Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane betrayed the people.

In response to the outcry over demolitions, on Tuesday Mokonyane said the demolitions had to send a strong message to other fraudsters who continued to illegally sell land in the province.

Mthalane said it was sad when lives became so "cheap" in the view of people who were supposed to be their leaders.

He said Sanco was also disappointed by the ANC in Gauteng's silence on the matter.

"Shame, shame and shame on all of you."

The demolitions of houses had been halted after SA Human Rights Commission obtained a court interdict.

The case is scheduled to continue in the High Court in Johannesburg next Friday.

Sexwale's spokesperson could not immediately be reached for comment.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    sahrc  |  anc  |  sanco  |  tokyo sexwale  |  nomvula mokonyane  |  johannesburg  |  housing

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Wallabies 'defend like dogs'
Loubscher expecting 'direct' Wales
Carter desperate to reach RWC final
Boks want to continue upward curve
Traffic Alerts

You may find it hard to focus on the mundane routines as the greener pastures seem so tempting. It is a good time to expand your...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.