Wesselton mops up after protests
Ermelo - Wesselton residents began mopping-up operations on Thursday after days of violent protests left streets strewn with rubbish and rubble.
"I am removing this rubble because it is blocking my driveway, I cannot wait for the municipality to do so," said Jack Mkhonza, as he removed a heap of burnt tyres.
Protesters went on the rampage on Monday over a lack of service delivery, unemployment and the councillor nomination lists for the forthcoming municipal election.
Msukaligwa municipal spokesperson Surprise Ngcongo said the municipality could not risk the lives of its workers by sending them to clean the streets.
The municipality could not let its vehicles and essential services personnel drive around the township "for fear of malicious damage to property and victimisation," he said.
The protests were suspended on Wednesday pending a community meeting on Monday.
Community leader Dumisani Mahaye said residents believed a message had been sent to senior ANC leaders in the region that there was a crisis in Ermelo.
They would decide on their next step of action on Monday after a report back from senior ANC leaders in the Gert Sibande district.
While the situation was calm on Thursday, police in armoured vehicles drove around the township.
- Were you there? Send us your photos