Western Cape school holiday crime drops
Cape Town - Only 26 cases of vandalism and burglary at Western Cape schools were reported this June/July holiday period, the province's Education MEC Donald Grant said on Tuesday.
This was down from 30 for the same period last year, and mainly involved the theft of copper cables, copper pipes and electrical cables, he said in a statement.
One case was classified as a major incident, 23 as minor and two as negligible.
In the latter two, a lock was tampered with, with no other damage caused.
"The estimated costs of damages have also decreased this year. Last year, damages exceeded R260 000. Estimated costs for the June/July period 2011 are R160 000," said Grant.
The most serious case was at a primary school in Belhar where internet, alarm, telephone and intercom cables worth about R25 000 were stolen.
Grant thanked the police and those involved in the province's "Safe Schools" programme for the improvement. He asked people to continue reporting suspicious activity to police.
Grant's figures could not be confirmed with the police and a national comparison was not possible, because, as provincial police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut explained, there was still a moratorium on the release of police crime statistics.