News24

Woman, 78, dies after house burns down

2012-06-26 17:40

Johannesburg - An elderly woman was found dead on Tuesday morning after her house in Zola, Soweto, burned down, police said.

The fire was thought to have been caused by a candle the 78-year-old woman lit as there was no electricity, Warrant Officer Kay Makhubele said.

She apparently suffocated when her bedroom caught alight. The entire house was destroyed.

- Were you there? Send us your eyewitness accounts

Comments
  • samgaf - 2012-06-26 19:04

    Those damn cigarettes

      deana.boshoff - 2012-06-26 19:43

      Are you retarded or just plain insensitive? Wait until someone you love, dies such a horrible death, then you crack a joke.

  • deana.boshoff - 2012-06-26 19:37

    Rest in Peace, Goggo- your suffering is over. My deepest and sincerest condolences to her family and loved ones. Losing one dear to you in a fire is horrible. But God will guide you through. It angers me so when people always assume the poor victims of a fire died from either smoke inhalation or suffocation. It is not always the case. Some victims are alive and trying to flee from the flames. Sometimes the flames get them before the smoke does. When my dad died due to a fire in Iraq, we were firstly informed that he passed away peacefully in his sleep (due to smoke inhalation). We later learned that he was wide awake and had to jump from a window on the fifth floor of the hotel. Thus the cause of death. Stop sugar coating, dealing with a death can only be done when you give the grieving people the correct information.

  • Mike Peach Purchase - 2012-06-26 20:38

    Shame man she didnt deserve that have sympathy people good grief.

  • pages:
  • 1