Woman accidentally sets self on fire

2012-11-24 20:35

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - A woman was burnt to death in Paarl in the Western Cape when her clothes, which had petrol on it, caught fire, it was reported on Saturday.

Kelly-Ann Groeneveld, 23, went to drop her mother off at work on Monday when her car ran out of petrol, Beeld reported.

She called her father who brought petrol to replenish the car.

"Kelly-Ann was holding the funnel while I poured the petrol in, when we realised the funnel was leaking," her father Andrew told the newspaper.

"I told her to go wash the petrol off but she was on a way to a friend's house."

When Kelly-Ann climbed out the car at her friend's house she lit a match and her clothes caught fire.

She was taken to the Paarl Hospital and later taken to Tygerberg Hospital's burn centre.

Kelly-Ann had third degree burns on her body and hands. She died on Monday night.

Read more on:    cape town  |  fires

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
34 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
Partner Content
How data is changing investments

Technological disruption is rife in many spheres of business and given the quantity of data available, it’s no surprise that the way in which asset managers work is also changing fast.

Behind the sparkle

Alluring, beautiful and timeless - diamonds are some of the most sought after gems in the world and are a true testament of everlasting brilliance. Let us take you behind the sparkle to show you the history behind this coveted jewel.

/Sport
 

Chocolate can be fatal for dogs

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine that is similar to caffeine and is toxic to dogs at certain levels.

 
 

Paws

Spider-man star's adorable relationship with his dog
Do you know what you are feeding your dog?
Watch: Proof animals have souls
Would you clone your pet?
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.