Youths knocked down - driver stays in jail
Johannesburg - The trial of a man accused of knocking over 12 youths in Lawaaikamp, George, was postponed by the Thembalethu Magistrate's Court on Monday, Western Cape police said.
"The trial was postponed to April 20. He was granted R5 000 bail, but I believe he is still in custody as he could not pay the bail," Captain Malcolm Pojie said.
Buyani Sondoso, 35, was also sentenced to three months in jail or a fine of R1 500 for using the car without the owner's consent.
Pojie said Sondoso had yet to pay the fine.
He faces charges of negligent and reckless driving, drunken driving, and driving without a licence.
He allegedly hit six boys and six girls, aged between 13 and 22, with his bakkie on Saturday. The youths were playing in the yard of a house on Mellford Notshokovu Street.
He was chased by a traffic officer as it was suspected he had been drinking.
Police, who were on patrol in the area also started chasing the man and asked him over a loudhailer to pull over, said Pojie.
He first turned into Vuyani Mcamazana Street and then into Mellford Notshokovu Street where he hit the wall of the house where the 12 youths were playing.
All 12 were taken to hospital, where three had to have emergency surgery, said Pojie.
"They sustained very serious injuries. They are currently in the George Provincial Hospital."
Two were in a stable condition and one was still in the intensive care unit, Pojie said.