Ad hoc committee to discuss SABC board

2016-11-15 05:44
(Photo: SABC website)

(Photo: SABC website)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Parliament’s ad hoc committee set up to look into the SABC board will meet for the first time on Tuesday to discuss if it is still fit to do its job.

Multiple resignations had left the board with just three remaining members. It needed nine to form a quorum.

Three board members resigned after former chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng was reinstated in a senior management role in September.

The ad hoc committee was appointed by the National Assembly. It had until January to decide on the board’s future.

Earlier this month however, Communications Minister Faith Muthambi told Parliament that the SABC board was functional and could take decisions with only three members.

On October 5, SABC board members Krish Naidoo and Vusi Mavuso announced their resignations at a meeting with Parliament’s communications committee.

MPs agreed the current board was dysfunctional and ill-governed, neglecting its fiduciary duty towards the public, and that it should be dissolved.

Mavuso told News24 the last straw for him was seeing the board’s presentation to the committee, which he said he had made no contribution to. He said some executives had been coerced into accepting severance packages, which he said was inappropriate.

Naidoo said that as a lawyer, he could not accept that the majority of his colleagues were willing to accept Motsoeneng’s appointment as acting COO. He said this was illegal. 

On September 19, the Supreme Court of Appeal rejected Motsoeneng’s bid to appeal the Western Cape High Court’s November 2015 ruling declaring his appointment irrational and setting it aside.

Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found in a report released in February 2014, that Motsoeneng lied about his qualifications when he applied for the post of COO, that he hiked his salary from R1.5m to R2.4m in one year, and purged senior staff.

Despite the SCA’s ruling, the SABC announced on September 27 that Motsoeneng had been appointed to the post of group executive for corporate affairs.

Read more on:    sabc  |  media  |  parliament 2016

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
There's an app for that: how apps have changed us

"There's an app for that" is more than just Apple's marketing mantra. Mobile apps have emerged over the last 10 years or so for practically every need in a person's day and changed our lives.

/Sport
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.