ANC must prove that 'councillors' who joined party were our members - KZN DA

2016-06-13 14:18

Durban – The DA in KwaZulu-Natal has questioned statements made by the ANC during its manifesto launch in Pietermaritzburg on Sunday.

The ANC on Sunday announced that several DA councillors, from the Msunduzi and Umkhanyakude District Municipality, had resigned and joined the ANC, but DA provincial leader Zwakele Mncwango has challenged the ANC to make the names of those councillors public to prove that they had indeed been members of the DA.

News24 sent Mncwango pictures of the alleged councillors which were paraded on stage in front of President Jacob Zuma and more than 40 000 people.

"From the pictures, I can tell you now that there is no Msunduzi or Umkhanyakude councillors who resigned and joined the ANC. I do, however, recognise one person and that is councillor Zama Sibisi from Ladysmith in Uthukela, the rest were not our councillors."

ANC provincial chairperson Sihle Zikalala told the gathering on Sunday that the councillors had voluntarily joined the ANC because they were tired of the DA.

He said the councillors did not join the party because they wanted to be councillors. "They did not join to be councillors, they joined the party," said Zikalala.

He also said: "The DA can keep its Penny Sparrow and other oppressors. We have processed their memberships. We want to say that we will not burn the DA T-shirts, we will take the T-shirts back with respect. We do not agree with intolerance. We will take them back nicely to the DA and they can reuse them."

Mncwango explained that the DA had one PR councillor in the Umkhanyakude District and that he had not resigned. The councillor, Richard Mkhwanazi, confirmed to News24 that he was still a councillor.

Mncwango said: "Who are those people? If the ANC can provide us with a list of the people’s names and which wards they belong to, we will confirm that those people they paraded were our members."

Mncwango said Sibisi was undergoing a performance review ahead of the elections and that the party had found that he had been red-flagged, which meant that he had underperformed.

"He was not going to come back as a councilor, anyway. He appealed the decision and the committee threw the case out. We have no grudges against him."

Mncwango said the DA would not respond to the statements about Penny Sparrow - who was recently ordered to pay R150 000 to the Olive and Adelaide Tambo Foundation for making racist remarks - as she had been ejected from the party.

ANC provincial spokesperson Mdumiseni Ntuli and Mhlaba Memela were not immediately available for comment.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.