ANC vs ANC again as 2 more provinces head to court over conference results

2017-09-14 13:33
ANC. (News24, File)

ANC. (News24, File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The African National Congress is again in court in two provinces as more branches allege irregularities ahead of the party's hotly contested December elective conferences.

In the North West, the party wants the High Court in Mahikeng to rescind an August judgment that interdicted an elective conference by the Bojanala region, after disgruntled members argued that at least 40 branches were not constitutionally launched.

They have cited ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe, and provincial and regional leaders as respondents.

READ: Divisions over ANC leadership race deepen

The Eastern Cape's biggest region, OR Tambo, has also hauled the party to court to nullify the outcomes of a regional elective conference, expected to further delay the provincial elective conference.

The conference has already been postponed three times.

The ANC in North West will be represented by Advocate Thembeka Nguckaitobi, who represented the ANC members who won their legal battle in KwaZulu-Natal this week.

READ: ANC KZN hits back at NEC

The KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg nullified the 2015 provincial conference on Tuesday after disgruntled members argued that there was vote rigging and other irregularities ahead of - and at - the conference. The PEC has said it would appeal the judgment.

While the judgment on September 12 had no real impact on the branches that will nominate the new party leadership and elect delegates to represent them at the elective conference, the outcomes of the North West and Eastern Cape court decisions could affect the upcoming conference.  

'Everything is on board'

In his affidavit, North West secretary Dakota Legoeta argues that, if the rescinding application is unsuccessful, more than 200 branch members will be denied their right to vote at the December elective conference.

"The protection of the organisation - be it at national, provincial or regional level - is imperative, given the pending national conference in December 2017 and the fact that the Bojanala district will, if the interdict remains in operation, have its voting power diminished by 233 votes, also underscores the urgency of this application," Legoeta said.

He said the 40 branches interdicted were properly launched.

READ: Dlamini-Zuma warns against bad losers in ANC presidential race

Eastern Cape provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane said the OR Tambo region's disgruntled members had no case against the party.

"We believe that this challenge is just a strategy to disrupt the ANC in the province and cast aspersion on the provincial conference. We don't think it carries any weight to make conference not to sit. We have a case to argue, everything is on board."

Describing the difference between the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal court cases, Mabuyane said the party in the province didn't take short cuts.

"We stick to procedure and we don't suspend the ANC constitution. We have been delivering credible conferences. We think we have done our best to ensure that all internal process are followed to the letter, using tools of the ANC."

He said the party's lawyers were ready for the court case on Thursday. He added that the case did not have any bearing on the party's provincial elective conference, as 90% of its branches needed for the conference to proceed, had been met.

READ: ANC officially opens nomination of leadership contest

'Selected by deceased persons'

However, Advocate Mvuzo Notyesi, who is representing two former OR Tambo region leaders who were ousted in its recent elections, told News24 that irregularities at the conference were so grave and serious that the only option was to nullify the conference.

"In one branch, in its general meetings, delegates were selected by deceased persons. Those delegates were fraudulently elected."

He said his clients had made appeals to the highest structures of the ANC before the regional elective conference, however: "Those delegates went to the conference and participated.

"You can easily come to the conclusion that delegates included bogus delegates."

He questioned Mabuyane's motives for dismissing the challenge by his clients, saying if he had taken time to read the appeal papers, he would have seen that his concerns were fully addressed.

Notyesi said he believed that he had a stronger case than the KZN branches that took the PEC to court.

"Here you have people deceased being used. The judgment in KZN is a boost to our challenge in that some of the principles will be applied. We are always confident on the merit of the case," he said.

Read more on:    anc  |  johannesburg  |  anc leadership race  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.