ANC welcomes Concourt decision on ICC

2016-11-15 19:21
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg – The ANC on Tuesday welcomed the Constitutional Court’s dismissal of a DA application to have South Africa’s decision to withdraw from the ICC declared invalid.

“The application was nothing more than yet another concerted effort by the DA to defend imperialism and the continued subjugation of Africa under the guise of ‘promoting human rights’,” spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.

In October, the DA filed a court application to declare South Africa's decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court invalid.

The ANC condemned what it called the DA’s continued attempts to “circumvent political processes of the Republic”.

Kodwa rejected arguments that South Africa’s withdrawal from the ICC’s Rome Statute would mean it condoned human rights abuses on the continent.

The move was instead a “rejection of the imperial gaze into global justice that the International Criminal Court has been systematically advancing”.

“Our global political economy is laden with histories and present acts of military aggression advanced by powerful nations of the west. Their acts of direct war and sponsored militias are a widely-known blemish on the global human rights agenda.”

The withdrawal would help the continent establish pan-African institutions that would guarantee and enforce justice on human rights matters.

“The ANC will lead the charge to have leaders of African institutions and African countries redouble efforts to strengthen existing continental structures that protect and promote human rights.”

On October 21, Justice Minister Michael Masutha told reporters that South Africa had initiated the process of withdrawing from the ICC by notifying the United Nations of its intention to revoke its ratification of the Rome Statute, which established the ICC.

The decision followed several court judgments that the government violated the law by not arresting ICC-indicted Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir during his visit to South Africa in June last year.

Read more on:    da  |  anc  |  constitutional court  |  icc

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.