ANCYL contempt of court matter likely to be heard in 2018

2017-08-14 13:03
Thanduxolo Sabelo (Amanda Khoza, News24)

Thanduxolo Sabelo (Amanda Khoza, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban – A contempt of court matter against the ANC Youth League in KwaZulu-Natal may only be heard in 2018 after the ANCYL opposed the application, a lawyer said on Monday.

The matter was meant to have been heard in the Durban High Court on Monday, but because the league opposed it, the application was removed from the court roll, Active Citizens Movement (ACM) lawyer Viren Singh said.

"It is likely that the first date the court will be able to give us is early next year. That is the way the justice system works."

He said the ANCYL had applied to strike down portions of the ACM’s founding affidavit.

Provincial ANCYL secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo said: "As the ANCYL we are opposing the matter and the matter is in court. More importantly, we can be able to say that we are certain we are going to win the case."

High Court Judge Rashid Vahed granted the ACM the interdict to stop the ANCYL from attending the Ahmed Kathrada memorial service, which was held in Durban on Sunday, April 9. It feared for the safety of the main speaker, former finance minister Pravin Gordhan. Kathrada died on Tuesday, March 28, aged 87.

After the ANCYL promised to behave, Vahed allowed them to attend.

Criticism of Zuma

However, the memorial, at the Sastri Hall in Durban, descended into chaos when ANCYL supporters sang, shouted, chanted President Jacob Zuma’s name, and heckled the speakers, including Gordhan.

The ANCYL’s behaviour was prompted by criticism of Zuma that had been expressed at Kathrada’s funeral and at other memorials for the ANC veteran.

Zuma in turn criticised his detractors for using memorial services to make political statements. He did not attend Kathrada's funeral at Westpark Cemetery in Johannesburg, apparently at the request of the family. There was confusion later over which family member had conveyed this message.

The ACM then gave the ANCYL an ultimatum to make a public apology for its behaviour at the Durban memorial, failing which it would initiate contempt of court proceedings and seek a punitive costs order. The ACM wants the court to order Sabelo to personally pay R50 000, and the league R100 000, to a charitable organisation.

It wants the court to order that the ANCYL place a paid-for advert apologising for its behaviour in four newspapers, including the isiZulu-language publication, Isolezwe.

Read more on:    ancyl  |  thanduxolo sabelo  |  durban  |  politics  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.