Attempt to back Motsoeneng in court fails

2016-11-23 15:22
Hlaudi Motsoeneng greets supporters outside the High Court in Cape Town. (Jenni Evans, News24)

Hlaudi Motsoeneng greets supporters outside the High Court in Cape Town. (Jenni Evans, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - An attempt by two musicians' rights groups, and Jimmy Manyi's Decolonisation Foundation, to throw legal weight behind Hlaudi Motsoeneng failed in the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday.

The SA Musicians Association and the Independent Music Performers Rights Association had hoped to submit arguments in support of Motsoeneng's transformation efforts.

Motsoeneng instituted a 90% local content rule at the SABC, much to the delight of local artists who stand to benefit from extended airplay, royalties and work.

But on Wednesday, when they tried to be admitted as friends of the court in the DA's application to have Motsoeneng removed from the SABC, the Democratic Alliance's lawyer, advocate Anton Katz SC, objected.

Judges Owen Rogers and Andre Le Grange ruled that their application was not related to the main question of whether Motsoeneng’s continued tenure is legally above board.

Motsoeneng removal

READ: Hlaudi's R600m shocker

The application by the three was dismissed.

Former National Director of Public Prosecutions Mokotedi Mpshe represented Manyi's foundation.

Manyi, former government spokesperson and head of Tiger Brands, was in court to listen to the application.

Once their application was dismissed, Katz moved in to the main application to have Motsoeneng removed.

Katz said that the two-and-a-half-year fight over whether Motsoeneng should stay had already cost the tax payer R28m.

He submitted that the SABC's handling of the Public Protector's findings over him not having a matric certificate and giving himself a hefty pay rise was a "charade", and something out of Alice in Wonderland.

He said Motsoeneng seemed to "be" the SABC, even overriding other heads and speaking for the board at press conferences.

A recent court ruling ordered that his appointment as chief operating officer was invalid.

The SABC then appointed him as chief executive of group corporate affairs.

The DA believes Motsoeneng should leave the SABC entirely, and should pay the legal costs for the matter out of his own pocket.

During the application, Motsoeneng listened intently, occasionally smiling when Katz became heated.

WATCH the video:

Read more on:    da  |  sabc  |  hlaudi motsoeneng  |  media freedom  |  judiciary  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.