Atteridgeville streets cleared as anti-immigrant march heads to Pretoria Central

2017-02-24 11:33
Atteridgeville. (CICA)

Atteridgeville. (CICA)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Several streets that were blocked by protesters in Atteridgeville on Friday morning have been cleared, while a march against immigrants is set to proceed to Pretoria Central, Gauteng police said.

Atteridgeville residents were earlier blocked from going to work after protesters threw rocks and burned tyres.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said officials had cleared the road and traffic was flowing freely.

No injuries were reported or arrests made.

"Looting of a truck was reported. We are still waiting to confirm."

Tshwane metro police spokesperson Superintendent Isaac Mahamba said they had received reports of several shops being looted, but also had yet to confirm the incidents.

READ: Chaos as protest blocks Atteridgeville residents from going to work

Protesters 'confiscate' SABC equipment

SABC Morning Live anchor Leanne Manas on Friday tweeted that a news camera and other equipment had been "confiscated" by protesters in Atteridgeville.

She later tweeted that the news crew had managed to negotiate with protesters to get the equipment back.

"#Atteridgeville protestors say media portray them in a negative light & call it #xenophobia when all they want is to get rid of criminals," she tweeted.

A group calling itself the Mamelodi Concerned Residents was expected to march to the Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria on Friday to protest against immigrants in SA.

Security services said "scores of people" were expected to participate in the march.

Men carry sticks and rods

Law enforcement officers would be deployed along the route and at venues where a memorandum would be handed over, the police's National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure said in a statement on Thursday.

A News24 reporter on the ground observed groups of people scattered around the area, with many gathering at the Marabastad bus depot for the start of the march.

Public order police were seen walking behind a group of young men wielding sticks and rods. Some had their faces covered.

On Saturday, residents of Pretoria West raided homes they alleged were being used as brothels and drug dens. They called for "pimps" to release prostitutes. Two houses were set alight.

On February 11, at least 10 houses allegedly being used for drug dealing and prostitution were set alight in Rosettenville, Johannesburg.

Locals claimed Nigerians were behind the criminal activity.

Read more on:    pretoria  |  protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.