Bail granted in KZN video assault matter

2017-08-14 20:48
Schoolgirl assault. (Twitter, file)

Schoolgirl assault. (Twitter, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban – The attacker in a viral video that showed a schoolboy assaulting a female learner in a KwaZulu-Natal school was granted bail of R1 500 at the Ntuzuma Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Lindokuhle Dube, 19, had been behind bars over the weekend before his appearance.

Also read: Father turns in KZN school assault learner

Department of Education spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi said the department was pleased that processes in seeking justice had begun.

"Our position as the department is we are happy that the processes of having a justified, logical conclusion on the matter have started today."

He said that the department would also begin its own investigations.

"We need to know how this happened and who did what. What did the school do or not do? Why was the matter not reported to us?"

The matter is set to continue on September 14.

Following the release of the video, the national department of education vowed to take "the strongest action possible" against a male learner who was caught on video, spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said in a statement on Thursday.

The department had promised to arrange medical examination and any other support that the female pupil would need.

The video, which was posted on Twitter by @Tumisole, showed the young female pupil being kicked and hit by a male believed to be Dube.

Education MEC Mthandeni Dlungwana's spokesperson Kwazi Mthethwa previously told News24 the department was working very hard to eliminate bullying at schools.

"We expect all our schools to have an anti-bullying policy that seeks to protect all children. It is very important that learners know that all forms of bullying are totally unacceptable within the school."

He said bullying behaviour could sometimes be seen as a sign that the individual doing the bullying was experiencing problems at home.

"We therefore call upon teachers, parents, SGB and the society at large to report such incidents to our authorities as and when it occurs," he said.

Also read: Education dept to take 'strongest action possible' against learner in violent KZN assault video

Mthethwa explained that they labelled the incident as bullying because "bullying can be in a form of words, physical and otherwise".

"We put it under one umbrella and call it bullying," he explained.


Read more on:    durban  |  bullying

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.