Bleak Christmas for KZN family after house burns down

2016-10-25 07:50
Gogo Sikhokhile Khoza, 70, and her six grandchildren have been left destitute after a fire guttered their home last week (Supplied).

Gogo Sikhokhile Khoza, 70, and her six grandchildren have been left destitute after a fire guttered their home last week (Supplied).

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban - A KwaZulu-Natal grandmother, who looks after six grandchildren on her R1 000 state pension, is facing a bleak Christmas after a fire gutted her home.

Sikhokhile Khoza, a 70-year-old gogo from Mzingazi, outside Richards Bay, told how her granddaughter was left with only the clothes on her back after the fire.

"She [Mpilo Gumede, 27] was wearing green slops and a pink dress, that is all she has left," said.

On Monday, October 17, a fire broke out in Gumede's room after a suspected electrical fault. 

"We were sitting outside and then all of a sudden we heard one of the children screaming that the bedroom was on fire. We saw smoke coming out of the window and Mpilo went into the house and noticed that the fire had spread to other rooms.

"She went to the get a bucket of water but it was too late, the fire had spread everywhere."

The elderly woman said neighbours came to help but in the end "they all watched as my house went up in flames".

No help from councillor

Khoza said her house, built in 1989, was already in a bad state.

"We have been built a shack and told not to go into the remaining structure as it may collapse anytime."

Khoza said she did not know what to do to improve the situation, especially with Christmas around the corner.

"We have nothing. We need help."

She said she had pleaded with the local councillor to help the family, but she had had no help from them.

Community activist Sharon Mdletshe had taken the family in until they were built a temporary structure.

"The family needs help because they do not have much. Last week the uMfolozi municipality built them a shack but this is just temporary. A church brought food, clothes and a mattress for the family but we still need more," said Mdletshe.

She said she would continue knocking on the doors of businesses for help for the family.

Read more on:    durban  |  fires

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.