Bojanala ANC conference postponed again

2017-09-17 15:33
ANC. (News24, File)

ANC. (News24, File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The ANC’s Bojanala regional conference, which was set to take place on Sunday, has again been prevented from taking place, following a North West High Court judgment.

“[The] conference will not proceed pending finalisation of the Urgent Application set down for the 22nd September 2017,” read the judgment issued by Justice Chwaro.

A representative for the applicants in the matter, Gabriel Nkgweng, who is also a former regional treasurer, said that the latest urgent application was launched on Saturday after the PEC chose to go ahead with the conference.

On Sunday, Nkgweng said the 40 applicants were fighting against the conference proceeding due to “irregularities” which they believe had taken place in terms of the establishment of branches and a “selective” audit processes.

The ANC respondents – cited as ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe, and provincial and regional leaders – have been given until Tuesday to file an answering affidavit and the applicants until Thursday.

The application will then be heard in the High Court on Friday.

Previously News24 reported that the interdict the region obtained last month to stop the regional elective conference and provincial general council from taking place this weekend was rescinded.

Read more here

At the time, News24 reported that the party’s North West secretary Dakota Legoete said the conference would go ahead on Sunday – and that they hoped to still engage with "members who feel aggrieved", outside court processes.

Meanwhile, recently the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg nullified the 2015 provincial conference last Tuesday after some members argued that there was vote rigging and other irregularities ahead of – and at – the conference.

The provincial executive committee has said it will appeal the judgment.

Furthermore, in the Eastern Cape, the party's OR Tambo approached the court to scrap the outcomes of a regional elective conference. This is expected to further delay the provincial elective conference, which has already been postponed three times.

Also read: Can the upcoming court battles hurt Zuma?

Read more on:    anc  |  gwede mantashe  |  mahikeng  |  politics 2017

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.