'Certain allegations don't make sense' in Coligny case - lawyer

2017-05-04 09:24
The Coligny Magistrate's Court (Felix Dlangamandla/Netwerk24)

The Coligny Magistrate's Court (Felix Dlangamandla/Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Coligny – Some of the allegations against the two men accused of killing a Coligny teenager don’t add up, their lawyer said in the North West town’s Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

What a "witness" told eNCA does not correspond with what he told Brigadier Clifford Kgorane – a member of the team investigating 16-year-old Matlhomola Mosweu’s death – Advocate Hennie du Plessis said during the bail application of Pieter Doorewaard, 26, and Phillip Schutte, 34.

Du Plessis said only the testimony of his clients was credible, Netwerk24 reported.

Du Plessis questioned Kgorane on Wednesday about his testimony that a witness had seen Doorewaard and Schutte throw Mosweu from their bakkie on their way to the Coligny police station.

Mosweu had allegedly stolen sunflowers on the farm where they sometimes worked.

Du Plessis said some facts hadn’t been confirmed, some accusations were inexplicable, there were two versions of what had happened, there was no forensic evidence and the results of the postmortem weren’t available yet.

'Lying in a pool of blood'

Du Plessis had earlier read Doorewaard and Schutte’s statement in court, in which they said they had been on their way to the police station with Mosweu on the back of the bakkie. They had slowed down at a bend in the road. That’s when Mosweu jumped off the bakkie and possibly broke his neck.

Warrant Officer Jeremiah Modisane, who took the accused’s statements at the Coligny police station and who had been at the scene where Mosweu died, also testified.

He said the boy had been lying face down. Blood was coming out of his ears and nose, and his face was also bleeding.

"He was still alive and was lying in a pool of blood, but died on the way to the clinic," Modisane testified.

He also confirmed that the accused had twice previously laid charges of sunflower and maize theft.

Magistrate Magaola Faso postponed the bail application to Friday.

Before court adjourned, Faso pleaded with those present to stick to the facts when discussing the case.

"People are allowed to toyi-toyi, as long as it’s for the truth," he said.

Read more on:    mahikeng  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
There's an app for that: how apps have changed us

"There's an app for that" is more than just Apple's marketing mantra. Mobile apps have emerged over the last 10 years or so for practically every need in a person's day and changed our lives.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.